It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 pm 

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

Current Standings

Round 3

Just like any other ongoing, evolving game, Magic is subject to something known as power creep, or the gradual increase of a card's power level relative to that of a previous comparable card. The most obvious place where we see this is in creatures. In times past, a 2/2 for was the standard, and it rarely had any additional beneficial abilities. Yet recently, we saw the printing of Sylvan Advocate, a 2/3 creature with vigilance for the same mana cost that could become even bigger, with no drawbacks. And, if you happen to have lands that are creatures, Sylvan Advocate can even make them bigger too!

You're probably thinking this round is going to be about making cards that have something to do with scaling this power creep, and it sort of does. With the power creep that has been shown in creatures printed in recent years, we're seeing a large variety of creature sizes relative to their mana costs. Let's take that to the extreme.

Your task this week is to design a creature card that fits one of the following criteria:

• Has power and toughness that are both at least 3 more than its converted mana cost.
  • Has power and toughness that are both at least 4 less than its converted mana cost.

Additionally, your card can't be a Clone variant, and any abilities it has can't change any creature's power and toughness (this includes +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters). For example, flying is fine, but prowess is not.

This round is intended to be a test of your development skills, but you will certainly have to be very creative to design a balanced card with these restrictions.

You have one week from today to post your submission. I'll be closing the round on Thursday, 10/19 at 11:00 PM Central Time. Best of luck!

Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Round 7 | Wild Card
Quarterfinals | Semifinals | Finals

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 pm 

Ancestral Incarnation
Creature - Monkey Spirit
If you were to draw one or more cards, instead you draw that many cards plus two.
0/0

spoiler

Backup

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:51 am 

Identity: Attack Helicopter
Submission

Pitches to Force of Will, untaps for free, what's not to love?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:44 am 

Soul Smasher - :b::b::b:
Creature - Demon
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice three creatures. Draw a card for each creature sacrificed this way.
6/6

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:49 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Old Man of the Mountain
Land Creature - Giant Mountain
(: Add to your mana pool.)
Old Man of the Mountain is red.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a land.
"Disturb slumbering titans at your own peril."
[3/3]

Changelog: 4/4 -> 3/3; Flavor fix
... Color fix courtesy of Dryad Arbor

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am 

Arbiter of Vengeance |
Creature - Angel Warrior (MR)
Flying, Double Strike, Haste
Whenever Arbiter of Vengeance deals combat damage, you gain that much life.
Whenever you gain life, Arbiter of Vengeance deals that much damage to each other creature and each player.
Everything is a crime.
[3/2]

Red and White are the aggro colours, and so in Cube and Commander, purely red-white decks tend to run low to the ground and just crush someone, or go wide and pump everything, and try to win that way. It's a bit repetitive. However, something else red-white tends to do is abuse damage effects. Boros Reckoner is the poster-boy of this effect, but Spitemare is a great example too. This card functions a lot like those cards in combat. However, the thing I'm excited about over it is that it gives red-white something new to do; turning lifegain into damage. With this card out (at a whopping 7 mana), all your life-gain effects start exploding the board. Unblocked, this sucker does 12 damage to an opponent. However, it's quite vulnerable to removal spells, with no inbuilt protection and only toughness 2. The card is also a bit more complex, with a triggered lifegain (to avoid infinite-lifegain/damage loops that Lifelink would cause), and an ability that triggers off that trigger resolving, and so it's Mythic Rare instead of just Rare.

Last edited by Yarium on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:10 am 

Death’s Piker -
Creature - Spirit Soldier | R
Double strike, lifelink, menace, vigilance
Death’s Piker can block an additional creature each combat.
Whenever Death's Piker blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, destroy that creature at the end of combat.
The shadow who brings death is darker than eternal death itself.
2/1

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 am 

Phantom Dragon

Creature - Dragon Spirit

Flying, Double Strike

If damage would be dealt to Phantom Dragon, prevent that damage and put an apparition counter on Phantom Dragon. When Phantom Dragon has six apparition counters on it, sacrifice it.

4/4

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:07 am 

Tide Songstress -
Creature - Siren [R]
: Gain control of target creature.
You won't regret hearing such a beautiful song.
1/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 am 

Harbinger of Despair
Creature - Specter (R)
Call of Despair (This spell costs less for each creature your opponents control with -1/-1 counters on them.)
Flying, lifelink
Whenever Harbinger of Despair deals combat damage to a player, that player discards two cards.
2/2

WIP post

End of All Hope
Creature - Eldrazi (M)
Not my actual submission.
31/31

Last edited by Knight Otu on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:57 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

If you put () around that it will show up as .

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:08 pm 

I'm confused by the talk of power creep. Am I supposed to make a card that power creeped? Can I make a 1 mana 4/4 and be taken seriously? Are judges grading for balance?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 pm 

Steamcore Behemoth
Creature - Weird
Trample
Echo (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this came under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep, sacrifice it unless you pay its echo cost.)
When Steamcore Behemoth deals combat damage to a player, you and that player both draw that many cards and discard that many cards.
"A bad idea from the Izzet that feeds on bad ideas....what could go wrong?" -Lavinia of the Tenth
9/9

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm 

Knifethrower was wondering...
This round is intended to be a test of your development skills, but you will certainly have to be very creative to design a balanced card with these restrictions.

If we were supposed to make a balanced card with these restrictions.

And for everyone in particular...
A 7/7 for would be balanced (extremely high color weight) but I already did this idea before; I would be a bit salty if someone went and copied that and pasted it into this thread.

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:54 pm 

I'm confused by the talk of power creep. Am I supposed to make a card that power creeped? Can I make a 1 mana 4/4 and be taken seriously? Are judges grading for balance?

But yes, they said that it's a test of your development skill, so I think it's supposed to be balanced despite having stats that are way out of whack to normal cmc.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:20 pm 

Identity: Attack Helicopter
Just submit Fusion Elemental as your card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:33 pm 

So the conversation about power creep was just a PSA? Since the writer didn't even mention how the increased granularity at lower mana costs allows for quicker differentiation between styles of play, which is arguably the most significant impact of creature-based power creep on the modern game, I give the PSA a C-

Also, I don't understand the photo of the fish.

Also I like to read every other sentence of criteria posts and then wander around in confused circles. I'm a busy guy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:35 pm 

Also, I don't understand the photo of the fish.
I'm a helper! :teach:

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm 

Knifethrower, the bit about power creep was largely a context blurb that got my wheels spinning on what the criteria should be this time around. It has little to do with the actual criteria. Hence this line:

You're probably thinking this round is going to be about making cards that have something to do with scaling this power creep, and it sort of does.

Sorry for any confusion.

Yarium and AzureShade are very astute. This is an excellent example of an unintentional red herring.

Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Round 7 | Wild Card
Quarterfinals | Semifinals | Finals

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:19 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Insatiable One
Creature — Eldrazi (R)
Trample, haste
Insatiable One attacks each turn if able.
Whenever Insatiable One attacks, sacrifice all other creatures you control at end of combat. If no creatures were sacrificed this way, exile Insatiable One.
It eats, therefore it is.
8/8

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Like this post