It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:09 am 

pst I also changed the name in my rules text

Nice catch. Fixed.

Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Round 7 | Wild Card
Quarterfinals | Semifinals | Finals

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 am 

I was informed that I missed a crucial flavor text change on Aspect of Innocence and have fixed it above. Judges, if you have already begun evaluating, please make sure you have the latest version of the cards before doing so.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:35 am 

There were a lot of really phenomenal submissions this round, which made the top spots really hard to get. I was really impressed with the top half of the cards submitted this round, so well done to those folks!

I got tired of sending PMs last round, so I've compiled some commentary here for you guys. You'll have to look for your card since I did my commentary in the anonymous list to make it more objective. (Although it becomes apparent that I know who posted the card a couple times in there.)

Q's Commentary

And last, but not least, my rankings for this round!

Q's Rankings

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:44 am 

Might as well have not done anything, since I apparently load the forums with garbage.

I'm sorry, I'm just so depressed.

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:45 am 

I'm not sure why i picked 4 actually, so yeah kinda arbitrary. I had it at 3 to match its CMC but then bumped it by 1 later. I wish i had it at 7 to match its power, in hindsight. But that might be too harsh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:42 am 

Might as well have not done anything, since I apparently load the forums with garbage.

if its any consolation i liked your card better than q's #2 which means you made the #1 card if you don't really think about it

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:39 am 

As expected, my average-ness gave me average grades.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:10 pm 

Identity: Male
I was worried about my wordiness, but there really isn't another way to pull it off. It boils down to 3 grokable facts really.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:28 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I'm working on grades now. Should have them up later today or early tomorrow.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:36 am 

Arbiter of Vengeance – 4RRW
Creature – Angel Warrior (MR)
Flying, double strike, haste
Whenever Arbiter of Vengeance deals combat damage, you gain that much life.
Whenever you gain life, Arbiter of Vengeance deals that much damage to each other creature and each player.
Everything is a crime.
3/2

I think the flavor overall is good, though I'm not sure why it needed warrior in the type line. You mentioned that you didn't give it lifelink because it made it deal infinite damage. I take issue with the fact that giving it lifelink does exactly that – it's way too easy of a two-card infinite combo. The card would have been much more interesting if you had figured out a way to give it lifelink and still retain the same flavor.

Ouch, plummeting down the ranks on this one. I suppose it's an easy two-card infinite combo, but given the 7-cmc mana cost, I wasn't too worried. The Warrior in the Typeline is because it's a red-white fighting angel that punishes crime on its own terms. Hence, Warrior instead of Soldier. Thinking on it in a new light, I supposed I could have done Lifelink and "When you gain life for the first time each turn...", so that it would only trigger once per turn, normally off its own damage, but potentially more with a spell in hand. Yup, wish I had done that now. Just going to ask, had I made such a change, where would you have ranked this?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:12 am 

Yarium wrote:
Ouch, plummeting down the ranks on this one. I suppose it's an easy two-card infinite combo, but given the 7-cmc mana cost, I wasn't too worried. The Warrior in the Typeline is because it's a red-white fighting angel that punishes crime on its own terms. Hence, Warrior instead of Soldier. Thinking on it in a new light, I supposed I could have done Lifelink and "When you gain life for the first time each turn...", so that it would only trigger once per turn, normally off its own damage, but potentially more with a spell in hand. Yup, wish I had done that now. Just going to ask, had I made such a change, where would you have ranked this?

My issue with the warrior type isn't so much that it feels wrong as it is that angels generally don't have any other subtypes. There is only one Angel Warrior in Magic, and that's because its name is Warrior Angel, so its type line had to match. The only other subtypes that have ever shared the type line with Angel are Spirit, Horror, Ally, Illusion, and Eldrazi (and I guess Zombie if you include Embalm).

It's tough to say where exactly it would have ended up. Like I said before, competition for the top slots was really tight this round. Even with the change, your card probably would not have made it into the top half because the other entries were that strong.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Sorry for taking so long to post. This round was really very close. Most people did such a good job I had a really hard time deciding the order. Like it if was a foot race, people were beating people out by fractions of seconds.

Dudibus's Rankings and Comments

Ephemeron

Last edited by Dudibus on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm 

Darn it, I wish I hadn't been so hung up on it not being a creature! Eh. For a card I thought wouldn't do as well as it did, I'll take what I can get. Thanks, judges!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 pm 

Mown, just a reminder to please have your rankings up in the next 34 hours. Thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm 

Dudibus wrote:
19. Confused - I like the designs that used low CMCs for high P/T more than the big cost low stat approach. Not sure why it counters my cards instead of just saying "You can't cast spells."? Is there any reason I would even try to cast something that's just going to be countered?

How about all the can't be countered cards, heroic creatures, saccing the arrested lion to an Altar's Reap, on cast effects and cards, that scrapheap scrounger and everything else that can work in the graveyard? The lion can be built around more easily in a sense.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:39 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Confused wrote:
Dudibus wrote:
19. Confused - I like the designs that used low CMCs for high P/T more than the big cost low stat approach. Not sure why it counters my cards instead of just saying "You can't cast spells."? Is there any reason I would even try to cast something that's just going to be countered?

How about all the can't be countered cards, heroic creatures, saccing the arrested lion to an Altar's Reap, on cast effects and cards, that scrapheap scrounger and everything else that can work in the graveyard? The lion can be built around more easily in a sense.

Those are all good points. I didn't even think about the can't be countered cards, which I find to be the most interesting of the options you commented on. I have changed the ranking on your card. Please take note Q in case you've already done some calculations.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:32 pm 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Dudibus wrote:
9. Razorborne - I am very torn on this card. I like the effect, but it seems odd that a card that is so very green could be played in a green deck, but could also be put in any deck that can generate green.

not that I'm too fussed about 9th place, but isn't that true of literally every card that costs ? trained armodon is just as green, but doesn't require your deck to be predominantly so as long as you can reliably generate some green mana.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:07 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
rankings

You should probably ask for comments if you want them as I will probably forget to write them like last week.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 pm 

Identity: Attack Helicopter
Mown wrote:
You should probably ask for comments if you want them as I will probably forget to write them like last week.

can i have comments on gray ogre.

i think it is a pretty good card but i'd like to hear what you think about it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:11 pm 

Mown wrote:
Hook me up. I've been getting better grades from you these last couple of rounds than I'm used to getting. I'd like to know if I'm just getting better or if you are going soft.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next