License to Kill 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Winding Road 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Whittle 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Ars Vitalis 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 66
Total voters : 19
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:25 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
All cards that received at least 5 votes have advanced to the next round. Congratulations to our Top 12—Especially to Echo_Robin, who designed four of them!

Echo_Robin wrote:
Verdant Mimic |
Creature - Elemental Shapeshifter (R)
You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any land on the battlefield, except its an Elemental Shapeshifter creature in addition to its other types and its still 1/1.
1/1

Echo_Robin wrote:
Soulfire Diamond |
Artifact (R)
: Add to your mana pool one mana of any type a creature you control could produce.

Wander Back --
Instant
Exile target creature until its owner plays a land.
No compass is as strong as the tug of home.

Echo_Robin wrote:
Goblin Contraptionist |
Creature - Goblin Assembly-Worker (R)
Whenever an ability of an artifact you control is activated, copy that ability, then sacrifice that artifact. You may choose new targets for the copy.
"Somehow we've doubled production, but halved output."
-Vanrag, plant foreman

1/1

Echo_Robin wrote:
Despondent Dreams |
Sorcery (U)
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player manifests that card. (That player puts that card onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. If it's a creature card, it can be turned face up any time for its mana cost.)

Fallingman wrote:
Believe It or Not
Instant
Draw five cards, then separate the cards in your hand into two face-down piles and reveal one of them. An opponent chooses one of those piles. Put that pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

Weight of the Eternities
Sorcery (M)
Suspend—. X can't be 0. (Rather than cast this card from your hand, pay and exile it with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.)
You lose the game.
Whenever a time counter is removed from ~ while it's exiled, destroy target nonland permanent.

Edacade wrote:
Inside Man
Creature-Skeleton
Whenever a Human creature you control dies, you may return Inside Man from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
1/1

Libe wrote:
License to Kill

Enchantment -- Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has ": Destroy target creature."
"I don't know why we keep issuing these." —Lieza, Corova Department of Public Safety

Winding Road
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to an opponent, Winding Road gains ": Add one mana of any color to your mana pool." until end of turn.

BelangiaJo wrote:
Whittle -
Instant | C
Target creature gets -3/-0 until end of turn.
Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.
Target creature gets -1/-0 until end of turn.

Ars Vitalis

Sorcery (U)

Choose one -
  • Destroy target creature.
  • Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

The difference between life and death is measured by the edge of a blade.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:36 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Wow. My votes are unpopular.
Goblin Contraptionist is only one I am REALLY interested in.
Believe it or not is somewhat underpowered, but so nice ! Wish it would draw 7.
Whittle is just too nice.
Person who voted juuuuust after me didn't choose a single option chosen by me...
Something to think about.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:28 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I hope nobody has a problem with me doing this differently than I said I would, by the way. I felt that keeping the voting within the brackets was needlessly complicated, and would give an arbitrary advantage to cards in weaker brackets. Just picking a number and advancing all the cards from there seemed much more simple and efficacious.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:32 pm 

Identity: Male
Aw man, I though Redfoot Rager had a shot at round 2. I knew I wouldn't take the whole thing, but making round two would have been nice.

Congrats to Echo_Robin who we can reasonably say is this year's most popular designer.

I plan to go through all of these later and do critiques. I encourage others to do the same.

How do we feel about prizes? I like to give out prizes for this sort of thing, but I've found that designers often aren't interested in Steam games and that's all I really have to offer. Also digital comic books. What's the interest level here?

TPrizesW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:33 pm 

I am appalled to see that my card made it to Round 2. It's not that good of a card! Shouldn't have even made it into CotW to begin with. P:

Anyways, I voted for only a quarter of the available cards. Doing my part to get to the "Card of the Year" faster and all that. And then I read TP's post and about how Echo_Robin was the year's most popular designer. I went back to check who made which cards...I had voted for only Echo's cards. :sweat:

So, no offense Echo, I rechose two of my votes to try to keep the playing field more even. I distinctly remember nominating Goblin Contraptionist, though, so you can rest assured that I'll be voting for that in every round it survives to.

Is it your birthday? Post a criteria in Birthday Bash.
Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 am 

TPmanW, I'll gladly take all those Steam games off your hands free of charge.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:58 pm 

Critiquery:
Verdant Mimic - I have mixed feelings about this one. It looks fun to play with, but it's basically as good as a mana dork should ever be and maybe more. Remaining a creature means it's still vulnerable to removal, but that land typing opens up new ramp synergies. Minor memory issues too, as you have to keep track of which mimic is a copy of which land.

Soulfire Diamond - Like Reflecting Pool, but as an artifact, and it counts creatures. So, not like it really. Potentially explosive, but being a vulnerable card type that relies on having another vulnerable card type on the field, I think it's balanced. Makes Dryad Arbor look pretty good. A great example of Verdant Mimic's potentially problematic synergies.

Goblin Contraptionist - Awesome combo potential. Genuinely funny flavour text. This card has it all.
The one downside- that creature type. It's just so jarring on an otherwise perfect card.

Wander Back - A wonderfully innovative take on the temporary exile spell. (Rock) solid (gold) flavour.

Believe It or Not - A Fact or Fiction homage that blows the original out of the water. The mind games that FoF promised are now here for real! Similar to, but riskier than Steam Augury.

Weight of the Eternities - A neat approach to suspend. You have a pretty narrow window to use this- from when you can afford to pay to forestall death, to when the slow accumulation of advantage looks less impressive than an expensive wincon. It's also quite complicated and hard to interact with. The latter isn't always bad, but the former is hard to overlook.

Despondent Dreams - Discard is an effect that shows up in every format and it can be hard to come up with a new ways to do it. This does it. It does it, and it does it in a way that combines a powerful iteration of the effect with a novel drawback.

Inside Man - Oh god I love the pun. It's killing me. And a skeleton is climbing out. Help me. Seriously though, it's an effect that the game pretty much demands exist and it's executed with great charm.

License to Kill - Build-a-Visara. You risk card disadvantage for the potential of a multikill. Slow for most purposes.

Winding Road - This land encourages you to do fun stuff like attack people by giving you awesome rewards like whatever colour of mana you want. Balance and flavour are solid, but it really stands out for incentivizing interesting game play. Always nice to see a card that enforces that the lesson that spells should typically be played after combat too.

Whittle - Mechanics matching up with names is a cornerstone of good flavour. Lightning Bolts hurt, Giant Growth makes things bigger. But then there's the rare card that goes beyond that, with an effect that reads like an MTG rules speak dictionary entry of the name. Lovely.

Ars Vitalis - I forgot this got in and I already used my (rock) solid (gold) wordplay. I'm at a loss now.

TPmanW, I'll gladly take all those Steam games off your hands free of charge.

Well I think making it this far entitles you to one. Just let me get my selection ready for presentation.

TPrizesW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 pm 

:bump:

TPrizesW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:50 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Goblin Contraptionist - Awesome combo potential. Genuinely funny flavour text. This card has it all.
The one downside- that creature type. It's just so jarring on an otherwise perfect card.

I'm to blame for the downside, because the card was made for one of my YmtCotW contests, wherein the specific criteria was "Make a nonartifact Assembly-Worker card."

Is it your birthday? Post a criteria in Birthday Bash.
Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 am 

Edacade wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

I'm to blame for the downside, because the card was made for one of my YmtCotW contests, wherein the specific criteria was "Make a nonartifact Assembly-Worker card."

YOU!! :shake:

TPrizesW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Verdant Mimic—As much as I love mana dorks with a passion, I have to agree with Wizards' recently-established position that they belong at 2 CMC. I think I would like this better if it were a Land Creature like Dryad Arbor that entered the battle as Vesuva instead of a Forest. Still, none of these complaints were enough for me to deny it my vote.

Soulfire Diamond—I don't really like this one. Not sure what it is. I'd probably like it a lot more if it were named as a Mox like it should be.

Wander Back—A balanced Path to Exile. Beautiful design. Voted.

Goblin Contraptionist—Cute. A little too silly for me, though.

Despondent Dreams—Seems underpowered to me. You're giving them a 2/2! I'd like it much more if it cost or and manifested it under your control.

Believe It or Not—A beautiful card. Arguably what Fact or Fiction should have been. Believe it or not, I'm voting for this one!

Weight of the Eternities—I can't think of a card that encapsulates the awesomeness of colorlessness better. The name is so evocative, and the mechanics do not fail to deliver the feeling thus evoked; indeed, one could argue they surpass even those expectations. My favorite card here. Bravo.

Inside Man—2Spooky4Me

License to Kill—Very charming and great, but doesn't deserve Card of the Year. It's too cute.

Winding Road—My, what an awesome card! Whoever made it must be such a genius. To be completely honest, though, I wouldn't be voting for this card if I weren't its designer.

Whittle—Again, there's really not a thing wrong with it! It just doesn't blow me away as much as some of the others.

Ars Vitalis—Beautiful. The elegant symmetry of this card gives it just enough to win my vote.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:36 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
30 hours left! Get your votes in :)

Like this post