It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:10 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Criteria: Shielding Pulse seems good. Strong for common, but all these pulses are really.

Future Generations
Enchantment (M)
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
You may cast the top card of your library if it's a creature card.

Criteria: Make another twist on Future Sight.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:37 pm 

Critique: Not sure why you'd run it over Future Sight beyond colors. It's still good, but it doesn't really do anything Future Sight doesn't.

Future Passions |
[Enchantment] (M)
: Exile the top card of your library. If it could be cast with the mana spent on this ability, cast it without paying its mana cost.

Downside: Chance to fail or overpay
Upside: Flash for everything, get rid of stuff you can't cast

Criteria: Well, that leaves black and white. So, make a black or white variant of Future Sight (or a similar effect).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:03 am 

At this cost, I don't know if I'd ever run this card. The upside doesn't really outweigh the randomness, and it's garbage in any deck running more than two colors - which I suppose makes sense, considering the high devotion to red this card requires.

Visions of the Past
Enchantment (M)
(You can't change the order of your graveyard.)
You may cast the top card of your graveyard.

Criteria: Since we're all about cycles recently, go ahead and make the white one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:34 pm 

Visions of the Past doesn't really match the cycle well. It's also uncomfortable rules-wise, because it makes it illegal to change the order of any graveyard in every format it's in, just in case its owner plays one in the future. (True, that only comes up with certain cards or mechanics, but it's obnoxious to ensure.) On top of that, the word "cast" doesn't work with lands, and it's probably broken. (Turn one: Land, mox, lotus, Visions, re-play lotus a dozen times, fireball. Vary as necessary.)

White is tricky, because it's not allowed to get good card flow except in limited situations, and Future Generations has taken a good chunk of that space. Therefore, I'm tempted to try a variant on Skybreen:

Future Prohibitions
Enchantment (M)
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
Other players can't cast spells that share a card type with the top card of your library.

Criteria: Design a variant of another plane card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:57 pm 

Identity: Male
My first reaction is to call the card unfun, but since you can't react to a spell being cast in time to make it uncastable, it should be okay. To abuse this you either need to know your opponent's deck, look at their hand, or control what's on top of your library. At that point, the combo's unwieldy enough that the only practical uses for the card are fun things.

Glen Elendra
Oona's Infiltrator
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may exchange control of it with target creature that player controls.
1/1

Criteria: Adapt ]an Archenemy scheme or ]Conspiracy into a regular mtg card.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:40 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Evasive, low-cost Body and a really good effect ... I'm not one to claim something is too strong, but I'd up the cost to at least. Also, this is me just being lazy with rules, but what would happen if you sacrificed it with the trigger on tje stack?

Architectural Collapse -
Sorcery
Destroy target nonbasic land you don't control unless its controller sacrifices two nonbasic lands.

May Civilization Collapse is the Scheme in question.

Criteria: Choose one of the tribal lands from Lorwyn or Morningtide and make a creature of that tribe that could be viable in Modern.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:14 pm 

Critique: This basically reads "destroy target non-basic land." No one land is valuable enough to sacrifice two in its place.

Ampitheater Gardener -
Creature - Giant Shaman | R
Trample
, Sacrifice a land: Add , , or to your mana pool.
3/2

Criterion: Design a creature with Pygmy as a type.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:17 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
That could not be viable in modern. It probably wouldn't even be viable in modern if you didn't have to sac lands for it.

Pygmy Askari :2::b:
Creature - Pygmy Knight
Skulk, Flanking
2/2

Crtieria: Make a common bear with upside. It must be printable at common under NWO and must not be overpowered for limited.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:12 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I like how you made the pygmy actually feel like a pygmy mechanically. Card is fine, and quite interesting.

Equinox Ursa
Creature ─ Bear (C)
Sacrifice Equinox Ursa: You may play an additional land this turn.
2/2

Criteria: Lets pick on Homelands. Pick a Homelands rare that sucks and remake it as a Mythic people would actually want to play.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=%5B%22Homelands%22%5D&rarity=+%5BR%5D

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:03 am 

I feel that with costing 1G and giving extra mana, this is pretty comparable to Leaf Gilder. With some upside (land is harder to kill than a 1-toughness creature so it is a bit more permanent, as well as being able to instantly use that other mana and getting some more use in decks that like having creatures in the grave) and some downside (can't be used on your opponent's turn and needs a land in hand to be useful.) Considering all that I'd make this a 2/1 and not a 2/2.

'A Homeland rare that sucks' Those last two words are kinda redundant. Let's go Hazduhr the Abbot because Legendary Clerics are something people like.

Hazduhr, Serra's Abbot
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
All damage that would be dealt to another Cleric you control is dealt to ~ instead.
Whenever ~ is dealt damage, put that many 1/2 white Cleric creature tokens onto the battlefield.
, : ~ gains indestructible until end of turn.
2/5

Not sure if he quite feels mythic. But protection for other things, spitting out tokens, and becoming indestructible (which means better protection for your other creatures) is a good bit of stuff. I dunno, may still be regular rare and not mythic.

Criteria: Make a card that cares about Experience counters. Cannot be a legendary creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:22 pm 

Critique: There's a lot of text on the card. I like that the reference to Clerics is made useful by pumping out Cleric tokens. Doesn't quite feel mythic. I believe the indestructible activated ability is a bit overpriced, but understand that otherwise you could swarm with Clerics and then always protect them.

Pegasus of the Old Age -
Creature - Pegasus - VAH
Flying, lifelink
When Pegasus of the Old Age enters the battlefield, you gain life equal to the number of experience counters you have.
As long as you have 25 or more life, opponents can't cast instants or sorceries.
2/1

Criterion: Create a mono-green creature with lifelink. Justify it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:37 am 

I like the idea behind Pegasus of the Old Age, but 25 life seems too low, particularly in 2HG or Commander. Even with 20 starting life, white lifegain cards can make this extremely annoying to play against.

Dawntimber Hunter
Creature — Wolf (C)
~ has lifelink as long as you control a Plains.
~ has haste as long as you control a Mountain.
2/2

Criterion: Design a blue mirror to an existing green card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:54 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Card is good. You justified it mechanically perfectly. I'm not sure if the criteria was mechanical or flavorful, but over all well done.

Essence of Reflection
Creature ─ Avatar (M)
Creatures enter the battlefield as copies of themselves.
6/6

Criteria: Make a "signature" card for a Planewalker that doesn't have one. (So a card that has the walkers name in it and that plays well with a version of it).

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:34 pm 

So, this counters like a dozen or so cards from magic's history. Other than that, it's vanilla. I don't like this sort of design.

Vraska's Servant :g::b:
Creature - Insect Zombie
Deathtouch
Scavenge abilities of cards in your graveyard cost :1: less to activate.
2/2

Criteria: Make another multicolored 2 drop for one of the guilds.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:29 am 

Critique: Very simple card. Fits well with Vraska. Fits well in Golgari.

Borborygmos' Timberkind -
Creature - Giant Berserker | MR
Whenever Borborygmos' Timberkind deals combat damage to a player, each player chooses one -
  • Sacrifice a land.
  • Borborygmos' Timberkind deals damage to you equal to the number of lands you control.
1/1

Criteria: Make a Gruul creature with flying (it can be green, red, or green red - but, it must have Gruul flavor).

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:12 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I like the mechanics a lot, but the flavour is a miss for me. Giants can't be 1/1. Because then they aren't giants.

Gruul War Drake
Creature ─ Drake (R)
Flying, menace, deathtouch, haste, indestructible, double strike
1/1
You can train from birth to be loving and gentle, but it more fun to poke with stick and let loose.

Criteria: Make another creature that has very low p/t for its cost but with an effect that shows why.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:27 pm 

I don't get it.

Duskmantle Trespasser :3::u:
Creature - Vedalken Rogue
Skulk
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
1/1

Criteria: Make a mono colored card that hates both of its enemy colors, but isn't dead if your opponent doesn't have those colors (e.g. Inquisitor's Snare).

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:44 pm 

This works well. Skulk makes low power a bonus, and the ability makes the evasion worth the cost on a 1/1.

Simple Brute
Creature - Human Warrior
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature.
Whenever ~ fights a blue or black creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
In the dictionary next to "Dumb muscle".
2/2

Criteria: Make a knight

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:14 pm 

The beginning player would be confused about how Simple Brute works (what an ironic name). Would he get the +1/+1 counter before the fight or afterward? Of course, he only gets the counter if he survives the fight. Fits the criterion well, yet the name feels more red (and the abilities would fit into red as well, come to think of it, just swapping black for white). It feels a little underpowered.

Crusader of Law and Grace
Creature — Human Knight (U)
2/2
First strike
Whenever Crusader of Law and Grace becomes the target of a black or red spell or ability an opponent controls or blocks or becomes blocked by a black or red creature, it gains indestructible until end of turn.

Next — Design a permanent with two relatively narrow abilities that each help in very specific but different matches.

Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Round 7 | Wild Card
Quarterfinals | Semifinals | Finals

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:37 pm 

I get that the extra toughness lets it live through Last Gasp effects, but it still feels super redundant with indestructible.

Odric's Guard :w::w:
Creature - Human Soldier
You can't lose more than 10 life each turn.
You can't discard cards.
2/2

Criteria: Make a blue creature that would be good in a standard tempo deck.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next