It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kithkin Aggro
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 pm 

Identity: Johnny-Vorthos
Preferred Pronoun Set: he, him, so on, so forth
Listen, I'm a vorthos. I'm in love with the lore and universe and flavor of Magic, but I am not a good player or a good deckbuilder. I'm just going for a simple, aggressive poor man's deck, but I'm kind lost in the reeds here. Any tips and feedback very much appreciated. (I have yet to check the prices on anything.)

Here are the cards I'm heavily considering-

Creatures:

Figure of Destiny
Goldmeadow Harrier
Ballyrush Banneret
Cenn's Heir
Kithkin Harbinger
Kithkin Zephyrnaut
Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile
Galepowder Mage
Thoughtweft Trio
Barrenton Medic
Thistledown Liege
Springjack Shepherd
Plover Knights

Noncreatures:

Militia's Pride
Surge of Thoughtweft
Coordinated Barrage
Kindred Boon
Coat of Arms
Door of Destinies
Mirror of the Forebears
Mutavault
Obelisk of Urd
Stoneforge Masterwork
Urza's Incubator

Edit: Adding the following creatures to the consideration list:
Goldmeadow Stalwart
Zealous Guardian
Ballyrush Banneret
Knight of Meadowgrain
Wizened Cenn
Kinsbaile Borderguard
Preeminent Captain

talk to me about politics, religion, philosophy, steven universe social issues, or whatever else you feel like! seriously, this is like my favorite thing to do.

Technology situation finally sorted, and thus my forum activity resumes

Last edited by epochtunicate on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Kithkin Aggro
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:34 pm 

Kithkin I would suggest you concentrate on:
Goldmeadow Stalwart
Mosquito Guard
Zealous Guardian
Ballyrush Banneret
Knight of Meadowgrain
Wizened Cenn
Ballynock Cohort
Kinsbaile Borderguard
Preeminent Captain

After than, I'd say you should shoot for 24-26 slots for creatures and 12-14 slots for spells with the remaining going to land. Once you decide on your spells (and I would suggest some white Modern staples like Path to Exile), you'll have a better idea of what sort of aggro you are actually running.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 pm 

interesting, do you mind explaining your recommendations for Mosquito Guard and Ballynock Cohort?

talk to me about politics, religion, philosophy, steven universe social issues, or whatever else you feel like! seriously, this is like my favorite thing to do.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:32 pm 

Yeah, both are Soldiers, which the Captian likes to free-cast. Also Moquito Guard doubles as a pump spell if you need it later in the game and the Cohort is a 3/3 with first strike for like two mana after a Banneret comes down which is a great turn three play with mana open to Path stuff. Or it is a 4/4 first striker on turn three after you drop a Cenn turn two.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:42 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Kithkin are sort of lacking for support. If you were to look at standard, I believe the prevailing Kithkin deck used Mirrorweave with either of the white SHA lieges (or Wizened Cenn) along with some token generators for surprise victories, but I suppose that might not satisfy your Vorthos, regardless of how cool I think it is.

4xFigure of Destiny
4xGoldmeadow Stalwart
4xWizened Cenn
4xKnight of Meadowgrain

These are probably the top four white Kithkin, with Knight being a bit below the rest. Where you go from there is up for debate.
For a very traditional white weenie deck, I would probably go with Kinsbaile Borderguard and Ballynock Cohort as 3 drops. You can also add Metallic Mimic and Adaptive Automaton to your curve if you accept imposters. The 4-slot is a bit quirky. Thistledown Liege is probably the best option, if a bit low-impact for the cost. Thoughtweft Trio is a bit awkward in that it struggles against removal and removes on of your threats, with little immediate impact, and you can't abuse it for etb triggers. Then add some utility spells of your choosing, such as PtE/StP and/or protective spells.
Another option you could try is using Light from Within in your 4-drop slot, which you won't be able to utilize fully, but it means you swap out Ballynock Cohort for Augury Adept, which synergizes well with both your 4 drops and your disruptive spells.
There are also some options to explore with Patrol Signaler and Order of Whiteclay if you can find strong incentives to tap them.

I'll also mention Heirloom Blade as an equipment I find quite appealing for tribal decks.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm 

buy elves, cross out "Elf" on every card and write "Kithkin"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 pm 

Zenbitz wrote:
buy elves, cross out "Elf" on every card and write "Kithkin"

Best tribal strat

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:55 am 

I like Militia's Pride and Dolmen Gate but not sure how powerful they are. I've seen people have success using Ajani Goldmane. I'm not sure what stuff outside of Lorwyn block will be good for you

Like this post