It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:06 pm 

I am guessing a lot of you have already heard this but i just encountered it today and thought it was pretty cool so i decided to share it.

There are three dragons, each with green eyes in a room. They can each see each other's eyes, but not their own. The following statement is said aloud and the dragon's regard it as true: "There is at least one dragon with green eyes". What new information do each of the dragon's gain from this statement?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:48 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
1) There is a mysterious speaker in a room.
That's not all there is to it, is it ?

My logical skills fail me...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:54 pm 

nope, its not really a trick question, i think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:34 am 

Assuming that having green eyes makes everything you see look green, the each dragon learns that it has green eyes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:46 am 

Identity: Human
You forgot the part where the dragons are only allowed out if they have green eyes.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 am 

Having looked up the solution, it appears that the green eyes is merely a pigmentation of their irises.

The version I read had the condition that when a dragon realises they have green eyes, they must transform into a bird at midnight of that day.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 am 

Also looked up solution, and I can confirm that a REQUIREMENT in the stating of this riddle is that the Green Dragons must leave the room when they discover they have green eyes. Without that, there is no logical reason that the Green Dragons learn any new information.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:56 pm 

I looked at this thread without having heard the solution, but knew that, from a meta-logical standpoint, each dragon must be able to derive its own eye color as green. There is no other hidden information to a dragon and it wouldn't be much of a riddle if the answer was "nothing happens". However, I couldn't arrive at the mechanism by which this would occur. I looked up the answer, and yeah, the automatic midnight birdification is kind of necessary to the puzzle because it creates the feedback loop of information that eventually leads the dragons to derive their own eye color

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:03 pm 

The bird clause isn't necessary and the solution to this puzzle is different from the solution to the puzzle from which this is derived from. The answer is:

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 am 

Ragnarokio wrote:
The bird clause isn't necessary and the solution to this puzzle is different from the solution to the puzzle from which this is derived from. The answer is:

[spoiler]Each dragon learns that from the possible perspective of another dragon, the third dragon can't possibly think that all three dragons have non-green eyes.[/spoiler]

response + answer to the other riddle

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 am 

Yarium wrote:
Ragnarokio wrote:

[spoiler]Each dragon learns that from the possible perspective of another dragon, the third dragon can't possibly think that all three dragons have non-green eyes.[/spoiler]

Spoiler

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:30 pm 

Yarium wrote:
Ragnarokio wrote:

--

Spoiler

Like this post